Saturday, October 3, 2009

What I am up to

I hope everyone had the chance to see Ken Burns new documentaries on PBS
The National Parks: America's Best Idea . Unbelievably beautiful, and rich with 
insight. The people involved in preserving these amazing areas had so much wisdom and integrity. I now need to read John Muir the insights into his character made me feel as if I knew him. 
     In 2000 I visited Yosemite National Park, conveying the enormity of the granite cliffs is difficult, except I could say you will feel like a mere mouse in this gigantic ancient landscape.
    My mission was also to visit the sequoias. I had only seen photographs of these magnificent giants. I wanted to be with them, to yes hug them and be still then listen to hear what I might learn from them. They have been around for thousands of years, that is incredible. I heard that in the early years some men decided to cut them down and use the wood. It turned out that the wood was so soft it was useless for building with, so the turned the huge felled tress into toothpicks. Are we absurd in our thoughtless actions. Glad we have protected some of them anyway, I hope every kid can see one. By the way they have a pine cone about the size of a walnut or golf ball, odd isn't it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment